2012 Degree Exhibition Award Winners
Recipients of the 2012 Degree Exhibition Awards were selected May 4, 2012, by two esteemed juries. The first jury selected Visual Arts and Design recipients based on works exhibited at the Degree Exhibition. The jury was comprised of Nigel Prince, Contemporary Art Gallery Executive Director; and alumni Leah Nelson, Co-founder and Creative Director of Giant Ant; and Ron Tran, Visual Artist and 2012 VIVA Award recipient.
The second jury was tasked with selecting recipients for the President’s Media Awards based on screened works and the Chancellor Award – Media based on screened work and GPA. The jury was comprised of Suzanne Becker, Emily Carr Guest Lecturer and Commissioning Editor for documentaries at ZDF; In-Ah Roediger, Lead Animator at Sony Imageworks; and Glen Alteen, Director/Curator of the Grunt Gallery, Performance Artist.
Criteria for the awards included students’ work in the exhibition, grade point average, or a combination of both. In total, eighteen awards valued at just over $21,000 were bestowed upon graduating students.
Emily Carr wishes to thank the many donors whose generosity supports these and other awards, and the 2012 Degree Exhibition Jury for graciously providing their expertise and time in support of emerging artists and designers. Please visit the University Advancement web pages to learn how your support can make an impact for Emily Carr students.
2012 Degree Exhibition Award Recipients:
- Sophie Lundstrom Halbert | Aritzia Graduation Exhibition Design Award
- Aleksandr Kudimenko | Sophie Burnett Memorial Award (highest GPA in Media, undergraduate level)
- Hua Jin, Kirsten Berlie and Hannah Campbell | Canon Photography Awards (first, second and third place, respectively)
- James Kemp | Circle Craft Graduation Award for Ceramics
- Erika Rannali | Contemporary Art Society of Vancouver Emerging Artist Award (Visual Arts)
- David Vaisbord | Farris Award for Art & Social Media
- Shannon Craigie-Helkett | Mary Plumb Blade Award (Painting or Printmaking)
- Luke Parnell | Winsor Gallery Graduate Student Award (Painting, Sculpture, Multimedia or Photography)
- Myron Campbell | Governor General’s Gold Medal (highest GPA, graduate level)
- Caitrin Wootton | John C. Kerr Chancellor’s Award – Design (combines GPA and work in the Degree Exhibition)
- Phoebe Chard | John C. Kerr Chancellor’s Award – Media (combines GPA and work in the Degree Exhibition)
- Christann Kennedy | John C. Kerr Chancellor’s Award – Fine Arts (combines GPA and work in the Degree Exhibition) and Governor General’s Silver Medal (highest GPA, undergraduate level)
- Katie Rasmussen | President’s Media Award, Film
- Kristen Campbell | President’s Media Award, Animation
- Phil Chen | President’s Media Award, Integrated Media
Visit funding priorities to learn how you can support Emily Carr students.