CS Instructor - Intro to Design and Research Skills
Continuing Studies Instructor Employment Opportunity
INTRO TO DESIGN & RESEARCH SKILLS
Continuing Studies Department at Emily Carr University of Art + Design requires an experienced design instructor to teach CEDE 150 F001 Intro to Design & Research Skills, an 8-session course (24 total hours). This course's dates and times are Wednesdays, Oct 11 – Nov 29, 2017, 6:00pm - 9:00pm.
This introductory course is the first of four Major Project courses. You will develop skills to perform research and analyze findings. In addition, you will develop critical thinking skills and gain an understanding of the purpose of communication design. By the end of the course, you will have the basic tools to complete project work in the subsequent design courses of this program. In terms 2, 3, and 4, you will integrate knowledge, skills, and abilities gained in previous terms toward a single design assignment in each term. You will self-direct your own workflow, from research and rough drafts of the concept, through to layout and idea development, and to production of the finished comprehensive materials for presentation.
Education + Experience:
Individuals should have a master’s degree and professional experience in Design or an equivalent combination of education and experience as well as demonstrated passion for and excellence in teaching at a post-secondary level.
Skills + Abilities:
We are seeking candidates offering the following skills:
• Expert knowledge in the area of design process and research
• Demonstrable professional experience in current design practices, including: conducting client research, defining target markets (based on demographics, generational cohorts, and psychographics), developing relevant messages based on the target market, and presenting research results and analysis.
• Post-secondary teaching experience (preferred)
• Evidence of successful teaching capacity in the form of tangible, positive evaluative feedback (references, previous course evaluations) considered an asset
• Strong team, organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio/website URL, and short teaching statement in ONE PDF file (quoting Competition #CEDE-08-2017) to:
Emily Carr University
Subject: Comp. # CEDE-08-2017
(Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted)
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.