Interaction Design Instructors
INTERACTION DESIGN ESSENTIALS | CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS | 2017-2018
Continuing Studies at Emily Carr University of Art + Design is currently accepting applications from instructors who are dedicated to creativity and excellence in art, design and media education broadly, and have expertise in various aspects of interaction design specifically. These positions are to teach courses within our full-time, professional certificate program in Interaction Design Essentials.
Applicants should include a current curriculum vitae and supporting material such as a link to a portfolio. Letters of application should also address the applicant’s pedagogical philosophy and teaching experience.
Applicants should be aware that courses are scheduled during the day and most courses run once per week for 3 hours each class.
Individuals should hold a degree (Masters or equivalent preferred) in interaction design, graphic design, or related field, plus 3 years of professional experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for and commitment to life-long learning, and have a measurable and diverse set of industry experience and professional practice within the umbrella field of interaction design. We are looking for active web designers or programmers and mobile app designers or developers who are looking to be part of a vibrant learning community.
We are seeking candidates who possess the following skills and who meet the following criteria:
- User interface (UI) and user experience (UX) skills
- Knowledge in digital design and layout strategies
- Expert computer literacy across a variety of design tools including Adobe Creative Cloud core programs
- Experience in concept development for digital media using a variety of techniques, various drawing methods, tools and materials
- Demonstrable professional experience in interaction design for a variety of devices
- Knowledge of brand strategy and identity, design research methodologies, and contemporary design theory
- Knowledge of visual fundamentals such as line, shape, composition, perspective, proportion, positive and negative space, and colour theory
- Previous experience in teaching or working with adults in an educational capacity is considered an asset
- Experience with developing and delivering accessible, engaging yet challenging design curriculum
- Ability to sequence and adapt teaching schedule and style to successfully reach diverse learners
- Comfortable facilitating and empowering thoughts, ideas and provide feedback for growth and development
- Strong class management skills, including implementation of equitable practice, positive disciplinary skills, empathetic communication, and student-centered learning
- Strong teamwork, organizational, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Evidence of successful teaching capacity in the form of tangible, positive evaluative feedback (references, previous course evaluations) considered an asset
Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio/website URL, and short teaching statement, quoting Competition # DE-FA-08 to:
Design + Media Coordinator, Continuing Studies
Emily Carr University of Art & Design
Subject Line: Competition # DE-FA-08
(Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted).
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.