Public Studio Space Membership
Cultivate your creative practice at The Leeway studio.
Imagine your own multi-disciplinary, resourced studio space for artists and designers.
The Leeway is a community studio space within Emily Carr University of Art + Design where artists and designers can explore new techniques, work among peers and learn from experienced instructors through demonstrations and workshops. Access to professional equipment, tools and materials as well as support from knowledgeable technicians allows Leeway members the freedom to experiment and create. The Leeway also hosts workshops and events throughout the year for both members and non-members. Become a member or apply for an artist studio residency.
Become a Member
Membership to The Leeway includes unlimited access to the studio, technical support, equipment and resources, storage and more. Join us for a month, a term or a whole year and work alongside our studio resident and peers.
Members of The Leeway are part of a growing community of artists who work in a diverse range of mediums and styles. To become a member of The Leeway
- Unlimited access to The Leeway during regular University hours (except during scheduled demos + workshops)
- Technical support and resources for a wide range of disciplines
- Access to over 2,400 online tutorials on lynda.com (in-studio only)
- Access to professional equipment, small tools and basic art materials
- Access to large format inkjet printing on Epson Stylus Pro printers (additional fees apply)
- Storage for artwork and materials
- Up to 15% discount on select items at Opus Art Supplies
- Community borrowers’ Library access
Standard Membership Fees
$200 / month
$635 / four-month term
(January-April, May-August or September-December) $1,750 / year
(yearly memberships are available in January, May and September)
Apply to become part of The Leeway Studio Residency program!
Fall, Winter, Summer, and Spring
To be eligible for The Leeway Studio Residency, you must be an active artist or designer with a current practice and online presence (blog, website or social media). Residents must commit to working in the studio for a minimum of 12 hours a week, as well as participate in a community outreach activity such as an artist talk, workshop or exhibition during the residency term. Previous Leeway Studio Residency recipients are not eligible to apply.
This residency includes:
- unlimited access to The Leeway studio during University hours
- access to a range of professional equipment, tools and basic art materials
- technical support and resources for a wide range of disciplines
- $200 consumable materials and/or production budget
The deadline for application for the Fall 2015 term has been extended! There are still a few days left to apply. Submit by August 7th for a spot this September. Visit slideroom.com to apply!
Demos + Workshops
The Leeway Community Studio offers free, public Open Studios, as well as paid, registered workshops.
Open Studios are self-directed uninstructed three-hour sessions that provide a space for non-members to try working in a communal studio. All Open Studios are free and open to the public, to a maximum of 15 participants. Participants must register upon arrival.
Workshops are three-hour sessions that focus on one particular aspect of a practice or skill that can be built upon later individually, or with further study in a longer-form course. The hands-on sessions are a great way to try out a new process, refresh skills or support professional development.