Continuing Studies Department at Emily Carr University of Art + Design is seeking an experienced instructor to teach CETP 123 Summer Institute for Teens: 3D Computer Animation, a 4-week course (total 96 hours). This course runs July 5 – 30, 2021, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 9am – 4pm. Current instructor rate is $73/hour.
Please note: The 3D Computer Animation studio is expected to be delivered through online learning platforms, including Moodle and Zoom and/or BlueJeans.
In this entry-level course, students will learn basic 3D modeling techniques, how to animate objects, apply textures, and digitally render a scene. Through various exercises, students will develop an understanding of movement, timing and acting, as they relate to body mechanics. By the end of the course, students will be equipped to integrate texture, expression and personality into 3D character animation.
- Deliver course curriculum using the most appropriate delivery methods for the content being taught, i.e., lecture, demonstration, workshop (including, but not limited to PowerPoint presentations, slideshows, handouts, suggested or required reading, etc.).
- Review and plan out course material before the commencement of each course to ensure content is accurate and up to date and full of the most updated material.
- Provide input to Program Coordinator where necessary with regard to course development and curriculum updates.
- Prepare syllabus and lesson plans for online course delivery.
- Assess and evaluate student work and provide students with constructive feedback that supports their creative development.
- Attend program meetings as needed.
- Maintain a professional environment by setting an example for students and preparing them for post-secondary education.
- Contribute to a nurturing learning environment by providing support, encouragement and constructive feedback to students.
- Be available for student consultation.
Individuals should have a degree or diploma in a relevant discipline from a recognized University, College or Institute, and 3+ years of professional experience in 3D Character Animation, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, as well as demonstrated passion for and excellence in teaching youth.
We are seeking candidates offering the following skills:
- Extensive knowledge of 3D animation preproduction and production processes, including 3D modelling, texturing, rigging, motion, lighting and rendering.
- Demonstrable professional experience in 3D Character Animation.
- In-depth knowledge of Blender, Maya or similar 3D animation software.
- Experience developing concept, engaging in diverse creative processes and realizing a final product.
- Diverse knowledge in critiquing strategies and student engagement.
- Strong teamwork, organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook) and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Presentation skills with the use of Keynote or Microsoft PowerPoint and a projector.
- Experience working with youth aged 16 – 18 in an educational capacity is an asset.
- Post-secondary teaching experience is an asset.
- Experience with SketchUp and video editing software is an asset.
- Experience with Moodle or similar online learning platforms is an asset.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, cv, portfolio website and short teaching statement, in ONE PDF Document, quoting competition # CETP 123 to:
Emily Carr University
520 E 1st Ave
Subject: Comp. # CETP 123
Applications are accepted until position is filled. For more information about this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted)
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.