2D Design Certificate
With a focus on creative problem solving and technical skill-building, the 2D Design Certificate introduces students to typography, image-making, and communication strategies, grounded in both industry-standard tools and design theory.
This flexible, evening and weekend program is ideal for students new to design who aspire to work with leading design faculty in a hands-on studio environment. Areas of study include Type Design, Layout and Publication Design, Visual Identity Systems and Information Design. Students exit the program with portfolio-ready projects, as well as an understanding of business and professional practices in the industry.
The program is presented in a variety of formats including lectures, hands on practice, studio and lab-based courses, and project presentations. Projects will vary in terms of complexity, time frame, tools and materials used, methods, and level of independence. Studio-based classes may be supplemented with presentations, lectures, exercises and discussions, independent work time, critiques, etc. Lecture- or seminar-based courses will focus on theory, critical investigations or the history of design. Working independently or in groups, students may be required to write, research or present responses to the critical concepts introduced.
Learning OutcomesThe 2D Design Certificate program has been designed for those who wish to:
- Acquire knowledge, skills, understanding, and experience in visual communication, design, and media processes and practices;
- Refine and further develop your visual literacy, creative thinking, and modes of expression and communication;
- Appreciate the ideas and intentions of contemporary design, and their relationships to contemporary society;
- Develop critical thinking skills in the concepts and processes involved in creating two- dimensional works;
- Build a portfolio of work;
- Receive a credential attesting to the successful completion of a program of study
Students complete the 2D Design Certificate at their own pace, registering in their required courses according to their own schedule and availability. Courses are offered over evenings and weekends allowing for part-time study. Students must complete 198 hours of class-time. Courses range in length from 18 to 24 hours.
- complete assignments, exercises, and activities to the instructor’s stated requirements;
- satisfy all course learning outcomes. Students can expect to spend approximately 1 hour completing homework for every one hour spent in class.
- All assignments must be completed to the evaluative standard set by the instructor to satisfy the learning outcomes of the course and program.
Assignments + Assessments
An assessment of the learning outcomes of each student is prepared by the instructor. Student must achieve a Pass (P) grade in every required course to be eligible for a 2D Design Certificate.
Career + Further Education2D Design Certificate recipients can apply their education to a variety of careers and enterprises. Depending on the level of work they achieve and previous education and experience, they can pursue a range of opportunities, including:
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Surface Pattern Design
- Textile Design
- Typography Design
Students can use work from their certificate program in an admissions portfolio to apply for the following programs:
- Communication Design Essentials Certificate
- Bachelor of Design