3D Design Certificate
The 3D Design Certificate offers two streams: Industrial/Product Design and 3D Space. With an emphasis on multi-dimensional problem solving, hands-on model-making and technical skill-building, the Certificate in 3D Design provides the opportunity to explore principles of technical drafting, scale-modeling, product rendering and architectural design.
These flexible, evening and weekend programs are ideal for aspiring designers wishing to work with professional faculty in a hands-on studio environment. Areas of study include Rapid Visualization and Product Rendering, Creative Drawing and Architecture, Basics of Architectural Design, and a number of industry-standard software courses. Students exit the program with portfolio-ready projects, as well as an understanding of business and professional practices in the industry.
The program is presented in a variety of formats including lectures, hands on practice, studio and lab-based courses, and project presentations. Projects will vary in terms of complexity, time frame, tools and materials used, methods, and level of independence. Studio-based classes may be supplemented with presentations, lectures, exercises and discussions, independent work time, critiques, etc. Lecture- or seminar-based courses will focus on theory, critical investigations or the history of design. Working independently or in groups, students may be required to write, research or present responses to the critical concepts introduced.
Learning OutcomesThe 3D Design Certificate program has been designed for those who wish to:
- Acquire knowledge, skills, understanding, and experience in Industrial, Product and Space Design, media processes and practices, industry standards, animation, and visualization and 3D rendering for design;
- Refine and further develop your visual literacy, creative thinking, and modes of expression and communication;
- Appreciate the ideas and intentions of contemporary, sustainable design, and their relationships to contemporary society;
- Develop critical thinking skills in the concepts and processes involved in creating three- dimensional works;
- Build a portfolio of work;
- Receive a credential attesting to the successful completion of a program of study
Students complete the 3D Design Certificate at their own pace, registering in their required courses according to their own schedule and availability. Courses are offered over evenings and weekends allowing for part-time study.
Students must complete 162 hours of class-time. Courses range in length from 18 to 24 hours.
Assignments + Assessment
An assessment of the learning outcomes of each student is prepared by the instructor. Student must achieve a Pass (P) grade in every required course to be eligible for a 3D Design Certificate.To receive a passing grade in each of their courses, students must:
- complete assignments, exercises, and activities to the instructor’s stated requirements;
- satisfy all course learning outcomes. Students can expect to spend approximately 1 hour completing homework for every one hour spent in class. All assignments must be completed to the evaluative standard set by the instructor to satisfy the learning outcomes of the course and program.
Career + Further Education
3D Design Certificate recipients can apply their education to a variety of careers and enterprises. Depending on the level of work they achieve and previous education and experience, they can pursue a range of opportunities, including:
- Architectural Design
- Industrial Design
- Product Design
- Interior Design
- Bachelor of Design