Cross-disciplinarity uses knowledge, skills and processes from two or more academic, creative or professional disciplines. In this program, students will have opportunities to creatively integrate diverse backgrounds, practices and contexts, build dynamic, multi-faceted portfolios, and cultivate their own entrepreneurial or industry potential. By merging design thinking and creative inquiry with a wide breadth of skills and techniques, students will be able to approach questions, issues and projects with more inclusive, adaptive perspectives, resulting in responsive, dynamic and exciting practices. This program is suitable to individuals from broad fields of expertise, including academics, professionals, artists, designers, scientists, architects, activists, and beyond.
Students who complete the Cross Disciplinary Certificate program should have the skills and knowledge required to:
- Demonstrate diverse cross disciplinary visual art and design techniques;
- Use various tools, materials, equipment, and technologies related to design and visual art methods and techniques;
- Develop, plan and express concepts through visual art and design practices, including drawing, rendering and/or prototyping;
- Evaluate work in terms of conceptual, compositional and technical strength;
- Present and justify one’s work for critique;
- Communicate ideas and opinions about and through cross disciplinary practices and methods;
- Produce a comprehensive and curated portfolio of visual art, design and interdisciplinary work;
- Develop a business/professional practice plan that is aligned with goals.
Students complete the certificate at their own pace, registering in their required courses according to their own schedule and availability. Courses are offered over evenings and weekends allowing for part-time study. Students must complete 468 hours of class-time. Courses range in length from 12 to 36 hours.
Assignments + Assessment
An assessment of the learning outcomes of each student is prepared by the instructor. Student must achieve a Pass (P) grade in every required and elective course to be eligible for a Cross-Disciplinary Certificate.
To receive a passing grade in each of their courses, students must:
- complete assignments, exercises, and activities to the instructor’s stated requirements;
- satisfy course learning outcomes. Students can expect to spend a maximum of three hours completing homework for every three hours spent in class. All assignments must be completed to the evaluative standard set by the instructor to satisfy the learning outcomes of the course and program.
Career + Education
Cross Disciplinary Certificate recipients can apply their education to a variety of careers and enterprises. Depending on the level of work they achieve and previous education and experience, they can pursue a range of opportunities, including:
• Studio or Commercial Artist • Media Artist • Freelance or Commercial Designer • Industrial/Product Designer • Creative Entrepreneur • Critical/Cultural Writer • Curator • Cultural Researcher • Project Manager • Educator
Students can use work from their Cross Disciplinary Certificate in an admissions portfolio to apply for the following programs:
• Bachelor of Fine Arts • Bachelor of Design