Discover how sustainable and human-centred design can positively impact the world around us. This studio introduces the core values, application and potential of Industrial Design through prototyping and case studies of product design. You will learn technical drawing, CAD software, and model-making alongside principles of accessibility, ergonomics, material innovation and ecological concerns.
Through successful completion of this studio, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the design process and its application to industrial design
- Apply fundamental technical drafting and scale drawing skills
- Experiment with and develop visual ideas in 2D
- Manipulate shapes & forms in 3D
- Employ fundamental model making techniques in a range of materials
- Understand and employ mold making and casting techniques
- Consider lighting and composition toward creating photographic documentation of models and other subjects
Materials & Resources
Due to the online nature of the program this year, students participating in SIT will be required to have their own access to the required software, hardware and materials for their registered studio.
Full list of supplies will be available by May 1st, 2021
Estimate cost of supplies: $115-$130
- Adobe Photoshop
- Rhinoceros 6
About the instructor
Keith Shapland is an industrial designer who specializes in the development of mock-ups and prototypes, both physical and digital. He has worked on projects ranging in scale from a full size mock-up of a 747 to delicate medical devices. He has developed prototypes of aviation data recorder “black box’” systems and participated in the engineering destruction testing of the prototypes and production units. Keith has designed, fabricated and installed tradeshow booths and museum exhibits. He has fabricated architectural, topographic and engineering models. Keith also worked in the entertainment industry as an image compositor, utilizing his digital skills to extract 2D imagery from the 3D animations on such projects as Beast Machines and MTV’s Spiderman.