We welcome incoming exchange students from our partner institutions and from other Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD) exchange schools each year. Students are invited to spend one semester of their third (or penultimate) year of post-secondary education at Emily Carr.
You can only participate in an exchange if you are currently attending an institution that has a formal exchange or mobility agreement with Emily Carr. Please refer to the list of partner schools or check with your home institution's exchange advisor.
Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD)
Emily Carr is a member of the AICAD Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design which includes art and design colleges and universities in North America (Canada and the US). Students applying from an AICAD partner should follow the instructions provided by AICAD.
How to Apply
If you are applying from an institution that is one of our international partners (not an AICAD member) then you must submit a portfolio through our SlideRoom.
If you are attending an AICAD member school then you must submit a portfolio through the AICAD Exchange SlideRoom website and follow the guidelines for submission listed at the site.
As well, you must upload the following within SlideRoom:
- A 300-word statement of intent
- A portfolio of 10-15 works
- Nomination Letter (from your exchange coordinator)
- Course choices up to a maximum of 15.0 credits
There is a charge of $12 US to submit your portfolio on SlideRoom.
Along with your application, please email a copy of your most recent transcript.
- Application Form deadline March 15
- SlideRoom opens March 1 - closes April 10
- Application Form deadline October 15
- SlideRoom opens September 15 – closes October 15
Admission decisions will be communicated by email to all applicants approximately 2-3 weeks after the final portfolio SlideRoom deadline.
Academic Terms at Emily Carr University
- Fall Term: early September to late December
- Spring Term: early January to late April
Student Exchange Program Policies
- Language proficiency requirements of each institution are generally waived for exchange students, although it is important to caution applicants that the language of instruction at Emily Carr is English.
- The International or Exchange Office or the Mobility Coordinator at your home institution must nominate you. Only students nominated by officials at a student’s home institution are considered.
- Students elected for exchange continue to pay tuition to their home institution. No tuition is collected by the hosting institution. However, any studio or material fees incurred through class registration such as art supplies fees or film developing fees are the responsibility of the student.
- All students are required to pay some student fees, including a Universal Transit Pass Fee at Emily Carr of approx. $250.
- Students must apply to and receive approval from the appropriate government agency for any necessary student visas and immigration documents to enter the province/state and country of the host institution. Please refer to cic.gc.ca for the most current information.
- You must obtain and maintain adequate health insurance while participating in the exchange. You must make your own arrangements for insurance prior to leaving your home institution.
- You are responsible for finding your own housing for the period of your stay, although assistance with locating housing is provided whenever possible.
- Although every attempt is made to place each student recommended for exchange, due to space or equipment limitations it may be impossible to accommodate a request for a particular discipline in a given semester.
- Because of the quickly changing landscape regarding the COVID-19 global pandemic, it is possible that the program could be suspended at any time.