Designed to answer questions such as File Size: What is Big and What is Normal? and How do I Price my Work? Skill-Up topics have been selected to introduce technical hands-on skills within an hour. Skill-Up sessions will be delivered by Emily Carr faculty, staff, students, and industry experts, and are organized by the Career Development + Work Integrated Learning and the Shumka Centre for Creative Entrepreneurship.
Every Wednesday, 12:00 – 1:00 PM | Room B3155
Open to all!
Fall 2019 Schedule:
- Wednesday, Sep 18: Make Your Tech Look Effortless
- File Size: What is Big and What is Normal?
- Getting your slides on the projector: media for presentations
- How to change the size and type of your file
- File storing and naming conventions
- Wednesday, Sep 25: Community in Building Your Practice
- Finding your people
- Forming a collective
- Cultivating a network
- Wednesday, Oct 2: Peer-Led Open Session
- Wednesday, Oct 9: How to Self-Publish
- What are catalogues, artist books, multiples?
- When is it ok to self-publish?
- Print-on-Demand and how it works
- Wednesday, Oct 16: Peer-Led Open Session
- Wednesday, Oct 23: How to Quick-Finish Fabric
- Wednesday, Oct 30: Where to Find Materials for Free or Cheap
- Wednesday, Nov 6: Models for Selling Something You Make (Part 1)
- When and how to focus on e-commerce
- Getting your thing in a store
- What are fairs and do you need them?
- Wednesday, Nov 13: How to Price Your Work
- Tips for calculating artist fees and pricing
- How to appropriately price your work throughout your caree
- Wednesday, Nov 20: How to Apply to Grad School
- Tools and strategies for researching and applying for different graduate program
- Introduction to Emily Carr’s graduate programs and admission requirements
- Wednesday, Nov 27: Peer-Led Open Session
- Wednesday, Dec 4: How to Frame Your Work
- Framing techniques
- Considerations for different types of work
|Emily Carr Students!|
Do you have a skill you’d like to share with your peers? Sign up to lead a peer-to-peer learning session on the poster in Room B3155 or e-mail one of the programming offices: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Skill-Ups are co-hosted and co-produced by Career Development + Work Integrated Learning and the Shumka Centre for Creative Entrepreneurship with the generous support of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training