Instructor, Interaction Design - Mobile App Production
The Continuing Studies Department at Emily Carr University of Art + Design requires an experienced instructor to teach within the Interaction Design Certificate program.
This 6-month, full-time program provides students with the skills required for entry-level employment within the interactive design and digital media sector. Students develop skills including web design, coding and motion graphics, as they produce both web and mobile-based projects and a final portfolio. This career-focused program prepares graduates for a variety of roles in UX/UI design and related creative industries.
Course content includes:
- User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design principles and terminology
- Development and production of interactive, responsive web and mobile applications
- Development of efficient research, analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving techniques
- Skill development in industry-standard programming languages, software and tools
- Skill development in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign; and
- Design thinking and process development.
Individuals should hold a degree (Masters or equivalent preferred) in interaction design, communication design, computer science, or related field and 3 years of professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates should demonstrate a passion for and commitment to life-long learning, and have a measurable and diverse set of industry experience and professional practice within the field of interaction design.
We are looking for active web designers or programmers and mobile app designers or developers who are looking to be part of a vibrant learning community.
We are seeking candidates offering the following skills:
- Extensive knowledge of User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design practices and trends
- Extensive knowledge of mobile app development, design and production
- Demonstrable professional experience in interaction design for a variety of devices
- Expert computer literacy across a variety of design tools and Adobe Creative Cloud core programs
- Knowledge in visual fundamentals, digital design, layout strategies and contemporary design theory
- Experience in concept development for digital media using a variety of techniques
- Previous experience teaching or working with adults in an educational capacity considered an asset
- Ability to sequence and adapt teaching schedule and style to successfully reach diverse learners
- Strong class management skills, including implementation of equitable practice, positive disciplinary skills, empathetic communication, and student-centered learning
- Strong teamwork, organizational, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Experience with developing and delivering accessible, engaging yet challenging curriculum an asset
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, cv, portfolio website and short teaching statement (quoting competition #IDES2019) to:
Continuing Studies,Emily Carr University
520 East 1stAvenue
Vancouver BC V5T 0H2
Subject: Comp. #IDES2019
June 15, 2019 at 4:30pm
(Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted)
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.