Continuing Studies at ECU requires an experienced instructor to teach within the Interaction Design Certificate program. This 6-month, full-time career-focused program provides students with the skills required for entry-level employment within the interactive design and digital media sector. Students develop web design, coding and motion graphic skills as they produce both web and mobile-based projects and a final portfolio.
Note: This posting is for two related courses. Applicants are welcome to apply for one or both courses. Please identify in your application if you would like to be considered for Interaction Design Studio I, Interaction Design Studio II or Interaction Design Studio I & II.
Course content includes:
- Application of design principles toward a concept
- Understanding and responding to design briefs
- Market and client research
- Best practices for time management, deliverables, and team and client relationship building
- Development and testing of conceptual ideas for a client
- Production of web and mobile assets based on design concepts
- Clear understanding of the relationship between design, user interaction and user experience
- Identify successful and unsuccessful design in relation to accessibility, usability, cross-platform and varying media.
Individuals should hold a degree (Master's or equivalent preferred) in interaction design, communication design, graphic design or related field and 3 years of professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for and commitment to life-long learning, and have a measurable and diverse set of industry experience and professional practice within the field of interaction design. We are looking for active web and app designers or visual communication designers who are looking to be part of a vibrant learning community.
We are seeking candidates offering the following skills:
- Extensive knowledge of User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX) design practices and trends
- Demonstrable professional experience in interaction design for a variety of devices
- Knowledge in visual fundamentals, digital design, layout strategies and contemporary design theory
- Experience in concept development for digital media using a variety of techniques
- Expert computer literacy across a variety of design tools and Adobe Creative Cloud core programs
- Ability to sequence and adapt teaching schedule and style to successfully reach diverse learners
- Strong class management skills, including implementation of equitable practice, positive disciplinary skills, empathetic communication, and student-centered learning
- Strong teamwork, organizational, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
This posting is for two related courses. Applicants are welcome to apply for one or both courses. Please identify in your application if you would like to be considered for Interaction Design Studio I, Interaction Design Studio II or Interaction Design Studio I & II.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, portfolio website and short teaching statement, quoting competition
Emily Carr University
Subject: Comp. #IDES_170-240_2020
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.