Know Your Rights

The following information is taken from TRAC’s Tenant Survival Guide*

Are You Covered By Law?

Not all renters are protected by the Residential Tenancy Act. If your name is on a tenancy agreement as a tenant and you pay rent to a landlord who does not share kitchen or bathroom facilities with you, then you are likely considered a tenant and protected by the Residential Tenancy Act. You can only apply for arbitration through the Residential Tenancy Office if you are covered by the Residential Tenancy Act.

Before Renting
Cleaning + Moving-Out Inspection
Deposits + Rent
Exchange + Visiting Students
Moving In
Repairs + Services
Tenancy Agreements

*The information contained on this page is for informational purposes only. Emily Carr University makes no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information. The “Advice for Renters” information is borrowed from the Tenant Survival Guide, a publication of the Tenants Rights Action Coalition. It is intended to give tenants some basic understanding of their rights and obligations under residential tenancy law in British Columbia. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.