Emily Carr University's top priority is the safety and well-being of our community. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person community events have been suspended.
In light of these recommendations from our provincial Public Health Officer, the 2021 Convocation Ceremony was virtual. Despite the unprecedented circumstances, we are committed to celebrating the exceptional achievements of our graduating students.
Please see ecuad.ca/covid19 for the latest updates on community health and safety.
Virtual Convocation Ceremony
Our ceremony was hosted by Chancellor Geoff Plant and President Gillian Siddall, and included:
- A drum procession and welcome from artist and alumnus Xwalacktun
- A celebratory greeting from the Honourable Anne Kang, Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Training
- Remarks by undergraduate student speaker Morgan Martino (BDes 2021) and graduate student speaker Melina Bishop (MFA 2021)
- The presentation of honorary doctorates to filmmaker Nettie Wild and scholar Eve Tuck
- The presentation of the Emily Award to alumna Laiwan
- Recognition of each graduand with a personalized slide featuring their artwork
How to Watch the Virtual Convocation
Our convocation ceremony was streamed on the Emily Carr University YouTube channel at 2:00pm on Friday, May 14.