Registration for students who have been accepted into a degree program is available in the fall, spring and summer semesters on insideEC.

Registration Instructions

Not sure how to register or having trouble using insideEC? Check out the insideEC FAQ page.

Undergraduate Students

Graduate Students

Graduate students will be automatically registered into their courses by the Records + Registration department. Students who would like to audit an undergraduate course should contact Danielle Zandvliet at 604 844 3888 or

Registration by Proxy

If you are unable to register yourself, please make arrangements for a friend or relative to register on your behalf. Due to Protection of Privacy legislation, Emily Carr cannot assist or give student record access to a third party (including family members) without written permission from the student. Written permission should be provided to Student Services well in advance of your registration release date. An information release form is available here.

Course Load Requirement

The required full-time course load is 15 to 18 credits:

  • 9 to 12 credits of studio based course work
  • 3 to 6 credits of critical studies course work

Please consult your Program Requirement Worksheet to find out the number of credits needed for the current semester. Blank requirement forms are available here.

You must be enrolled in at least 9 credits to be eligible for a BC Student Loan and 12 credits to maintain a BC Arts Council Scholarship and/or an Emily Carr tuition scholarship. Please visit Financial Aid + Awards for more information on student loans and scholarships.

The maximum allowable course load is 18 credits and during online registration, only 12 of those credits can be studio based courses.


You must check course prerequisites before registering. You will be removed, without notice, from any course for which you have not completed the appropriate prerequisite. Prerequisites are listed with the course description - available through Current Course Listings or by clicking on the course title on insideEC.

Repeatable for Credit

Some courses may be repeated for credit. If you repeat a course which is not designated as repeatable, it will not be counted for credit toward your degree. All attempts at repeating courses are calculated in the cumulative grade point average. We are working to have this information available with the course description but until that time you can check with Student Services to see if a course is repeatable for credit.

Critical Studies Requirements

You must complete all first and second year critical studies requirements before registering in any third year critical studies courses. All critical studies courses must be completed as required throughout your four year degree program.

Open Studio Courses

An open studio course is any course that is studio based. A 6 credit open studio course can fulfill two 3 credit open studio course requirements for your program.

Regardless of your major, any course with the following mnemonics are considered open studio courses:

ANIM-Animation ILUS-Illustration
CRAM-Ceramics INDD-Industrial Design
COMD-Communication Design INTD-Interaction Design
CCID-Community Projects ISMA-Interactive + Social Media (previously DIVA)
CGIA-Computer Graphics PNTG-Painting
DESN-Design PHOT-Photography
DRWG-Drawing PRNT-Print Media
FVIM-Film Video +Integrated Media SCLP-Sculpture
FNDT-Foundation VAST-Visual Arts Studio (previously GEVA)

Attendance and Student Responsibility

You are reminded that attendance is mandatory. Non-attendance is NOT the same as dropping a course. If you do not properly drop or withdraw within published deadlines you will have an "F" grade recorded on your transcript and you will be responsible for full tuition fees.

Dropping all courses constitutes a withdrawal from the University. Please see the withdrawal policy for more information.

Add/Drop: Fall + Spring Semesters
There is an add/drop period at the start of the fall and spring semesters. During this time you may adjust your schedule online without penalty as long as you remain registered in at least one course.

Students will no longer be removed from a course if they miss the first class. If you do not want to be registered for a course be sure to drop yourself online through insideEC before the end of the add/drop period.

Remember that attendance is mandatory and unexcused absences may affect your grade. Please inform your instructors ahead of time if you have to miss a class. Faculty e-mail addresses can be found through the Employee Directory.

Add/Drop: Summer Semester
The summer semester is split into two terms: May to June and July to August. Please see the summer registration page for withdrawal deadlines.

On-Line Courses

If you register for on-line courses, you will be contacted by your instructors via Emily Carr e-mail to discuss course meeting times. On-line course websites can be accessed through Usernames and passwords for online course access are the same as Emily Carr e-mail. If you have trouble accessing the course website, e-mail or call 604 630 4565. If a password needs to be reset you will be required to provide your Emily Carr student number and birth date.

Emily Carr Students who will be away on Exchange

Emily Carr students who have been accepted by the partner institution to go on exchange do not register for Emily Carr courses for the semester they are abroad. They will be expected to register for classes while abroad for the semester in which they are returning.

Student Financial Record

All outstanding debts from the current semester must be cleared in order to register. If your financial record is not in good standing your registration username and login will not be active and you will no longer have access to University facilities. If you have a hold on your file, please contact Financial Services at 604 629 4515 to arrange payment.

Tuition Fees

You are responsible for the full amount of tuition fees assessed once you have submitted your registration. Fees will be adjusted only if courses are dropped within published deadlines. If you have been de-registered you are still responsible for the fees assessed. Please visit Financial Services for more information.