Donate today to purchase portable equipment for students to succeed in a hybrid work environment.
Spring 2022 comes with a new opportunity for you to help students succeed at Emily Carr University. The pandemic has marked a paradigm shift concerning where we work. Students are motivated by the flexibility to work on projects from home. The demand for portable equipment exceeds what we have available. You can help students access the right tools when they need them by donating to our Portable Project Kits for Students Fund.
Emily Carr Students share a passion and commitment to learning and creating. Recent Master of Fine Art graduate, Kyla Gilbert-Heaney, regularly borrowed equipment to complete her degree.
“I borrowed the portable sewing machines many times. This allowed me to work on my own schedule either in my studio or at home. I wasn't super comfortable with the machines at the beginning of my degree, so having access to them in my space, while watching tutorial videos posted by Jen, allowed me to develop those skills at my own pace and troubleshoot any issues I'd have along the way. This vastly increased my confidence using these tools and allowed for flexibility in completing my projects.”
Kyla is one of many students who have excelled in a hybrid model of education brought on by the pandemic. Having portable project kits ensures safety for students. It means that they will be using the right equipment when working on their projects off-campus and not a makeshift set-up that could cause physical harm. Having portable project kits also means that students will not spend their limited funds purchasing and maintaining equipment. You can directly impact student success with a donation to this program.
Your gift will build specialized project kits for students to borrow from Emily Carr University.
One of the areas where students will benefit from portable project kits is our Soft Shop. They need five portable heavy-duty sewing kits to meet the needs of students. Here is an example of what is in a kit:
- Heavy-duty sewing machine, suitable for denim, canvas, leather, and more!
- A container of sewing tools for heavy-duty fabric including:
- Fabric shears, paper scissors, and thread snips
- Pincushion, pins, sewing clips for thick fabric
- Hand and leather sewing needles and thimble
- Seam ripper, tape measure, tailor’s chalk, pattern weights
- Pencil, eraser, pencil sharpener, clear ruler
- Snap pliers, and heavy-duty snaps
- Assorted thread for heavy fabric in a range of colours
A donation of $20 can purchase items including fabric shears, thread snips, or heavy-duty sewing needles. A donation of $50 can get snap pliers, an assortment of thread, and specialized fabrics. A donation of $250 will go a long way towards purchasing a heavy-duty portable sewing machine.
Here's how you can help:
- Make a one-time or monthly donation through CanadaHelps.org.
- Make a gift of securities through Canada Helps or contact the Advancement Office for more information.