Continuing Studies is pleased to accept applications for summer teaching assistantships (TAs) from current undergraduate students at Emily Carr. TA's will support CETP 010 Junior Art Intensive (JAI), a two-week art intensive for students ages 13-15.
The Junior Art Intensive builds foundational knowledge and skills in Drawing, Painting, Soft-Sculpture and Stop-Motion Animation. The program is co-taught by two instructors, and students spend one week working with the Drawing + Painting Instructor, and one week working with Soft-Sculpture + Animation Instructor.
We are looking to hire one TA with a background in Animation interested in supporting the Soft-Sculpture + Animation Instructor.
The Junior Art Intensive runs Monday-Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (PDT, GMT -7), with a one-hour lunch break (unpaid) from 12-1 pm. At this moment, we have two on-campus cohorts of 20 students confirmed to run. Due to a high demand, we are hoping to confirm a third cohort to run online:
- CETP 010 SU01: July 18-29, 2022, On Campus (confirmed)
- CETP 010 SU02: July 18-29, 2022, On Campus (confirmed)
- CETP 010 SU03: July 4-15, 2022, Online (through Zoom and Moodle) (to be confirmed)
In this two-week program, creative youth aged 13-15 explore 2D and 3D art-making. Working with professional art instructors in a focused workshop environment, students will complete a variety of projects in drawing, painting, animation and soft sculpture. Sketching and an examination of the creative process will complement hands-on learning to create an engaging and accessible art experience for creative youth of all backgrounds. The Junior Art Intensive builds foundational knowledge while emphasizing skill development and the creative process and helps prepare students for our Summer Institute for Teens. The program culminates in a final online exhibition of student work. More information about the Junior Art Intensive can be found at teens.ecuad.ca.
Junior Art Intensive TA's will work with the Instructor to review curriculum and plan instructional delivery and assignments. TA's can expect to gain hands-on teaching experience working one-on-one with small groups of students, conducting course-related research and co-leading classroom activities. Additional duties include:
- Supporting the Instructor with the management of the online classroom (managing breakout groups, moderating chat discussions, taking attendance)
- Preparation of presentations
- Supporting students with research and assignments.
- Liaising with Continuing Studies staff and IT/CTS.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Ability to facilitate a safe, supportive and responsive student environment;
- Interest and ability in making complex concepts and art techniques understandable to youth;
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency working in Stop-Motion Animation + Soft-Sculpture;
- Capacity to work in an intensive and high-energy online environment;
- Computer proficiency, including experience with Zoom and Moodle;
- Excellent group facilitation and instructional skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity and diversity; and experience promoting a respectful work and learning environment for students;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills, and a demonstrated ability to exercise tact, sound judgment and commitment to confidentiality;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience working with youth an asset.
- TA’s must have their own laptop OR have the capacity to check one out from Media Resources for every class.
$18.50/hour (current Undergraduate TA Level 2 rate) x 30 hours of contract time per cohort. Two cohorts are confirmed to run, for a total of 60 hours. If a third section (online) were confirmed to run July 4-15, the successful candidate would be hired for an additional 30 hours.
Application Deadline: Monday, May 16, 2022 by 4:30 pm
Please send a cover letter, your resume, a short teaching statement and a link to your portfolio - in ONE PDF file - to email@example.com with subject line: TA Call JAI 2022. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal record check. TAs must be available for a meeting(s) with the Lead Instructor and/or Manager of Youth + Community Programs prior to the course.