Health Insurance

Basic health insurance covers medically-required services, such as visits to doctors, hospital stays and medical testing. Basic health insurance is legally required for all re­sidents of BC, including international students, and is provided through the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP).

Emily Carr requires that all students have basic and extended health insurance for the duration of their studies.

Without proper insurance, you could have to pay thousands of dollars per day for a hospital stay. You could even be refused certain health services.

Learn how to get the health insurance you need below.

If you are…

A current resident of BC
An out-of-province domestic student
An international student

Student Health + Dental Plan

The Emily Carr Students’ Union also provides Emily Carr students with a mandatory student health and dental plan. This plan includes benefits such as dental and vision care, prescription drugs, travel insurance, and a number of other valuable services that are not covered under the government health insurance plan. For more information, visit