International Students

Where are you from?

Emily Carr welcomes outstanding international students from over 50 countries.

Emily Carr’s international student population makes up over 20% of our student body. Upon successful admission, we aim to facilitate success in learning and creative processes and to support you in your adjustment to the Canadian education experience. We can assist with direction to various university resources, off-campus housing, and orientation to University. We also provide general guidance for CIC and medical coverage for international students.


If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you will need a valid study permit to live and study in Canada. For more information on study permits and to find out whether you require a visitor visa to enter Canada, please visit:

If you’re currently enrolled at a Canadian secondary, post-secondary or language school, you may need to apply for a new study permit. You can extend or change the terms of your permit from within Canada. For more information, visit:


Upon successful admission, you will be required to obtain heath insurance coverage through the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). While you are waiting for your MSP coverage, you are required by law to have private comprehensive health and accident insurance. You MUST arrange for private medical insurance prior to arriving on campus. Emily Carr University recommends or you may choose your own private insurance company (we recommend minimum $2 million coverage).

Please see this link for complete details.


Canada’s work permit program allows international students to gain valuable work experience and to deepen their understanding of Canadian society. For more information, visit:


The post-graduation work permit through Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. For more information, visit: