Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

As an international student at ECU, you have the opportunity to work in Canada for up to three years after completing your degree program.

The PGWP is an open work permit that allows you to work anywhere in Canada and in any occupation. It is an excellent way to gain valuable work experience in Canada after graduation and to open up pathways towards Permanent Residence to Canada.

PGWP eligibility requirements:

  • You have graduated from an academic program at least eight months in length that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
  • You took at least 12 credits (a full-time course load) in each semester (Spring and Fall) of your study program. Exceptions:
    • Studying part-time during your final semester.
    • Taking authorized leave less than 150 days.
    • Having to stop studying or changing to part-time studies between March 2020 and the Fall semester in 2020 for reasons related to COVID-19.
  • You completed at least 50% of your program on campus in Canada.
  • You apply within 180 days after you complete your studies and your study permit has been valid within the last 180 days.

Length of the PGWP:

If your program is

  • less than 8 months: not eligible for the PGWP.
  • 8-month certificate program: 8 months PGWP.
  • 4-year Bachelor’s degree and Master’s Degree: 3 years.

Documents required to apply for the PGWP:

  • Confirmation of Graduation Letter
  • Official Transcript
  • Valid passport and study permit
  • Photo
  • Application Fee: $255 (Work Permit fee $155 + Open Work Permit Holder Fee $100)

How to apply for the PGWP:

Apply online:

Apply on paper :

If you have difficulties that prevent you from applying online, you might be able to apply on paper.

Apply at the border through "Flagpoling":

Started from June 21, 2024, international students can no longer apply for the PGWP at the border, please click here for detailed information.

Before submitting your PGWP Application:

Please stop working once you complete your studies.

Note that your studies are officially completed on the date ECU notifies you by any of the followings:

  • Completion Letter
  • Transcript
  • Degree

    After submission of your PGWP Application:

    You can work full-time once you submit your PGWP application if you meet all of the followings:

    • Had a valid study permit when you submitted your application.
    • Completed your study program.
    • Were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying and you did not work more hours than you were allowed to.

    For more information regarding PGWP, please visit IRCC’s official website.