Your Legal Status in Canada

Study Permit

A study permit is a legal document that issued by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) that allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada.

Most International students who physically enroll in a program that is more than six months in length will need to apply for a study permit.

Here are the conditions you need to follow as a study permit holder:

  • You must be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • You must actively pursue your study, not taking any leaves longer than 150 days.
  • You must inform IRCC any time you change post-secondary schools.
  • You must end study when you no longer meet the requirements of being a student.
  • You must leave Canada when your study permit expires.

Study Permit Extension

If you need to extend your study permit, we recommend you submit your extension application three to four months before your current study permit expires.

To submit your study permit extension application, please check the detailed instructions from IRCC’s website Extend Your Study Permit Guide.

The International Student Advisor is here to answer your questions and provide support throughout your time at ECU. Contact


Once you have completed all of your required credits to obtain your degree you will receive a letter from ECU confirming the completion of your program, along with a copy of your transcripts from the International Student Advisor.

This letter is issued after the Fall and Spring Graduation dates. Find these dates and more information at Apply to Graduate.