Transfer + Other Student Applications | Undergraduate Admissions


Transfer Student Applications

Transfer to Emily Carr University and bring your course credits with you.

If you are an academic, fine art, design, or media arts-based student with credits earned from another post-secondary institution, you may be eligible for first year transfer credit or able to transfer into second or third year at Emily Carr University.

We welcome university-level transfer applicants from a variety of post-secondary institutions in addition to our partners listed below. Second and third-year undergraduate transfer applicants will be considered on a space availability basis.

If you are a first-year applicant, and you possess previous studies, please submit those official transcripts with your application. Your official transcripts will be reviewed for transfer credit that fits your desired major.

Questions about the transfer process?

Connect with Admissions Advisor Yvonne Hachkowski to begin a conversation about your application process and make sure you are on the right track in pursuing your creative education.

Yvonne is available Tuesdays and Fridays for meetings by appointment. Please reach out with copies of your post-secondary transcripts to begin your review.

Transfer Student Application Guide
Partner Institutions
Academic Requirements for Transfer Students
BFA Visual Arts Portfolio Exemption
Transfer applicants from Institutes of Technology or Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology
Transfer Credit Guidelines

Block Transfer from Essentials

Interested in a design major after completing the Communication Design Essentials program?

If you are an applicant to the four-year Bachelor of Design, Communications Design program, and you have successfully graduated from the Communication Design Essentials Certificate, you will be awarded 33 credits toward your undergraduate degree in the Communications Design major.

This transfer is offered through the Faculty of Design and Dynamic Media in partnership with ECU Continuing Studies.

Contact us before you apply.

If you are seeking Block Transfer credit we encourage you to contact our Admissions Office.

Eligibility for Block Transfer
Block Transfer Details

Accelerated Visual Arts Foundation

Complete 21 credits over 15 weeks and enter the Fall term as second year student in this unique pathway towards a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Visual Arts Major.

Visit the program page for eligibility and application details.

Prior Learning Assessment

Get credit for what you’ve already accomplished.

Prior learning assessment (PLA) is a formal way to get credit for non-formal education.

As an undergraduate student, you may seek a maximum of 9 PLA credits at Emily Carr for knowledge gained through significant work, life experience or non-formal learning.

Prior Learning Assessment Fees
Prior Learning Assessment FAQ

Unclassified Students

As a practicing artist or designer, you can apply to take credit courses.

If you are a practicing artist or designer interested in taking a limited number of credit courses for your professional development you can apply for unclassified student status.

Unclassified Student Requirements

Visiting Students

This category is available to students interested in studying for one semester, and only in the fall semester (September to December).

Applicants must be presently enrolled in a visual art or design degree program at another accredited post-secondary institution and must have completed at least the equivalent of our first-year program (18 credits of studio + 12 credits of specific critical studies).

Visiting students must apply as per the standard undergraduate degree application process.