Unclassified & Visiting Student | Undergraduate Admissions

​Hello, practicing artists and designers: you can apply to take credit courses.

Unclassified Students

If you are a practicing artist or designer interested in taking a limited number of credit courses for your professional development you can apply for unclassified student status. All Applicants must have completed their senior secondary education in a program that would qualify them to apply to a college or university and also must have all of the following:

  • successfully completed a minimum of 18.0 credits of introductory studio art courses;
  • successfully completed a minimum of 12.0 credits of introductory academic courses at an accredited college or university recognized by Emily Carr University for transfer credit;
  • a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Admission is based on an assessment of official educational documentation including Transcripts + English Proficiency if English is your second language.

Please note, as an unclassified student:

  • you will not be able to take 100 or 400 level courses;
  • 200 and 300 level courses are available as space permits and only to students who have successfully completed the specific requirements;
  • you may not take more than 12 credits. Should you wish to take more than 12 credits, you must apply to become a program student in one of the undergraduate degree majors.

Contact our Admissions Office by email to start a conversation to verify your candidacy.

CLICK to view Fall and Spring intake deadlines and dates.

Visiting Students

This category is available to students interested in studying for one semester, and only in the fall semester (September to December). Applicants must be presently enrolled in a visual art or design degree program at another accredited post-secondary institution, and must have completed at least the equivalent of Emily Carr's First Year Foundation (18 credits of studio + 12 credits of specific critical studies).

Visiting students must apply as per the standard undergraduate degree Application Process.