Communication Design Major
Communication Design makes ideas real.
A major in Communication Design will empower you to express ideas, brands, and storylines clearly and creatively.
All our majors commence upon completion of our Foundation Year requirements.
In our complex world, effective, clear communication through visual design is always in demand. Learn to design strong solutions and solve communication challenges with Emily Carr University’s Communication Design Major. Studies combine theory and practice, exploring cultural, historical, technical, ecological, and theoretical issues. With this knowledge, you will be ready to develop an engaging and sought after visual design practice.
Communication Design offers progressively challenging experiences over the final three years of study in your four-year degree program. The focus is on developing comprehensible design of messages and experiences. You begin with a required mix of core studio and critical studies courses, then move toward flexible electives that allow you to customize your design education. Electives include print design, interactivity, and motion graphics. Within these areas of specialization, choose to focus on illustration, typography, wayfinding, information design and other opportunities. The program emphasizes 2D design - in print or on screen - plus opportunities to investigate overlapping areas in 3D design.
You will become part of a community of thinkers and makers who are capable of dealing with complex ideas and situations by collaborating, engaging, and informing.
Inspiring job titles of our graduates
Communication Design Officer, Principal Designer, Social Media Strategist, Interface Designer, Graphic Designer, Creative Director, Global Head, Employee Communications, Visual Designer, Creative Strategist
Dynamic employers that have recruited our graduates
After first year Foundation studies at Emily Carr, you will apply to enter the Communications Design Major in your second year.
Your studies will focus steadily in this field over the last three years of your four year degree. Upon completion you will achieve the undergraduate degree and designation, Bachelor Design, Majoring in Communications Design (BDes, CommD). See the Admissions section about application information for undergraduate, international, transfer, and aboriginal students.
Most courses you will take are worth three credits. 129 credits are required to complete your degree.
The Bachelor of Design, Communications Design program develops you to become a creative citizen of the design community through conceptual, critical, cultural, practice-oriented, and career-focused education.
The program aims are to:
- equip you with theoretical and practical tools of communication design;
- prepare you to develop a relevant design practice with sensitivity to global, ethical, environmental and technological challenges;
- cover principles and methods of typography, verbal and graphic language, and critical problem-solving in advanced levels of design practice; fostering an understanding of the design process as problem solving with a focus on the audience or user, and intuitive thinking, making, and applied research;
- support your learning through real-world, collaborative projects including internships, co-op placements or work experiences in studios, agencies, and workplaces in industry-related sectors;
- foster a vibrant design community within Vancouver, British Columbia, and Canada to strengthen the status of communication design in the private and public sectors regionally as well as globally.
verbal and graphic language, typography, problem-solving, communicating ideas, design research + methods, human-centred design, prototyping, interdisciplinary practice, service + system design, foundation studies, real world context, sustainable practices, studio culture, community engagement, minors, concept + ideation, visual literacy
Stay ahead with our undergraduate communications: by program; on social channels.