New to visual art and eager to try to a number of different methods, mediums, and materials? This program provides students with the opportunity to develop introductory skills in a wide range of artistic areas, such as Drawing, Painting, and Photography. With more Elective options, students can continue to build diverse abilities or focus on one discipline.
The Fine Arts Certificate Program provides students with a foundation in diverse fine arts techniques, processes and concepts that can be applied to transdisciplinary art practices and applied to further education.
Students will work with a range of tools and materials and develop skills and techniques in various mediums, including drawing, photography, and painting. Traditional and experimental processes will be explored across disciplines. Through studio- and lecture-based courses, students will learn art history and contemporary theories as well as navigate a transdisciplinary professional practice. Expanded required Elective hours allow students to focus on a specific medium or discipline area or to continue to expand a range of diverse skills. Through completion of structured and independent projects as well as in-class critique, students produce a diverse fine arts portfolio.
Students who complete the Fine Arts Certificate Program should have the skills and knowledge required to:
- Demonstrate diverse fine arts techniques, such as drawing, painting, print, sculpture, photography, and illustration
- Use a wide range of fine arts tools, materials, and equipment
- Develop visual and conceptual compositions
- Identify conceptual, compositional, and technical strengths in fine art work
- Communicate ideas and opinions about fine art
- Produce a comprehensive and curated portfolio of their fine art work
- Develop a business/professional practice plan that is aligned with goals
Students complete the Fine Arts Certificate at their own pace, registering in their required courses according to their own schedule and availability. Courses are offered over evenings and weekends allowing for part-time study.Students must complete 360 hours of class-time. Courses range in length from 12 to 36 hours.
Assignments + Assessment
An assessment of the learning outcomes of each student is prepared by the instructor. Student must achieve a Pass (P) grade in every required and elective course to be eligible for a Fine Arts Certificate.
To receive a passing grade in each of their courses, students must:
- complete assignments, exercises, and activities to the instructor’s stated requirements;
- satisfy course learning outcomes. Students can expect to spend a maximum of three hours completing homework for every three hours spent in class. All assignments must be completed to the evaluative standard set by the instructor to satisfy the learning outcomes of the course and program.
Career + Education
Fine Arts Certificate recipients can apply their education to a variety of careers and enterprises. Depending on the level of work they achieve and previous education and experience, they can pursue a range of opportunities, including:
- Studio or Commercial Artist
- Community Arts Programmer
- Storyboard or Concept Artist
Students can use artwork from their certificate program in an admissions portfolio to apply for a Degree in Fine Arts here at ECU!
Courses + Costs
We strongly encourage students to complete courses in the recommended order given below to best support their student experience and success in meeting their learning outcomes. However, students can register in any course for which they meet the prerequisites. In the event of a conflict between the recommended course order and the prerequisites of our courses, please follow the prerequisites.
|Required Courses||Tuition||Term Offered||Notes|
|CEFA 100||2D Composition + Form||$424||Spring|
|3D Materials + Media|
|CEDR 100||Introductory Drawing||$424||Spring |
|CEIL 100||Introductory Illustration|
|CEPN 100||Introductory Painting Techniques|
|CEPH 100||Introductory Digital Photography||$424||Spring |
|CESE 101||Art History||$424||Spring|
|Contemporary Critical Theory|
|Professional Practice for Artists|
(complete at least 5):
|Choose from any CEDR, CEGN, CEIL, CEPN, CEPH, CEPR, or CESE Certificate Courses.|
|Total Program Tuition||$6360|
Approximate Total Supply Fees
To register in the required courses, students must be over the age of 18 at the start of their course, have proficiency in spoken and written English and should have completed Grade 12 or equivalent education. No previous experience in drawing or the fine arts is required to begin the Fine Art Certificate.
No application is required - register online for courses now!