Focusing on introductory-level Communication and User Experience Design theory and practice, students of the UX/UI Associate Certificate will be introduced to essential skills and tools required to create dynamic user experiences suitable for desktop and mobile applications, and design effective user interfaces that take aesthetics, psychology and technology into consideration.
*Note that students must register for all courses via ECU Continuing Studies in order to be eligible for the UX/UI Associate Certificate credential.
Offered in partnership with OCAD University, the UX/UI Design Associate Certificate introduces the fast-growing and innovative fields of user-centred research and design. With a focus on creative problem solving and technical skill-building, this program provides students with the framework to understand, discuss and create effective interactive experiences.The UX/UI Design Associate Certificate introduces students to prototyping, usability testing, user-centred design principles, coding and visual communication strategies, grounded in both industry-standard tools and design theory.
This flexible evening, weekend and online program is ideal for students new to design who aspire to work with leading design faculty in a hands-on studio environment. Areas of study include UX/UI Design, Web Design + Analytics, Information Design and Web Programming. Students exit the program with projects suitable for development towards a portfolio, as well as an understanding of business and professional practices in the industry.
The UX/UI Design Associate Certificate program has been designed for those who wish to:
- Apply visual communication design for screen-based platforms
- Identify UX/UI Design processes, roles and skillsets
- Use various tools and technologies related to UX/UI and visual communication design methods and techniques
- Communicate concepts through UX/UI design practices, including visual literacy, creative thinking, accessibility, usability and/or prototyping
- Evaluate work for conceptual, structural, functional and technical strength
- Express ideas and opinions about UX/UI Design principles, practices and methods
- Present and explain one’s UX/UI Design projects for critique
- Create UX/UI-centered design projects for portfolio
- Develop a business/professional practice plan that is aligned with individual goals
Students complete the UX/UI Design Associate Certificate at their own pace, registering in their required courses according to their own schedule and availability. Courses are offered over evenings and weekends, and online, allowing for part-time study. Students must complete 216 hours of class-time. Courses range in length from 12 to 36 hours.
Students can use work from their UX/UI Design Associate Certificate in an admission portfolio to apply for the following programs:
• Interaction Design Certificate
• Bachelor of Design